10 Facts About Mold in the Home

20180606-600x323.jpg

We want to remove some of the mystery around mold and focus on the facts. Here we have shared some health and interesting details about this natural, yet destructive substance.

  • Mold feeds on dead organic material. Since most homes are constructed from wood or organic fibers, they are an ideal feeding ground. However, mold also needs moisture and ideal temperatures to grow.

  • Mold spores are too small to be seen by the human eye, and can float in the air for weeks before settling.

  • There are four common types of indoor mold: alternaria, aspergillus, cladosporium and penicillium.

  • Spraying chemicals on mold is not helpful because dead mold spores are just as harmful as live mold spores.

  • Some mold spores produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins) that can be harmful to different parts of the body, including your skin and respiratory system.

  • Headache, fever, wheezing and flu-like symptoms are common reactions to mold growing within the home.

  • Mold exposure can lead to asthma in some individuals, specifically children exposed at a young age.

  • There is a known linkage between taking Vitamin D and battling mold allergies. Research indicates that the consumption of Vitamin D increases the amount of amino acids, thus providing a tolerance to mold allergies.

  • Mold produces volatile organic compounds resulting in a distinct smell. The more intense the smell, the more of a problem the mold has become.

  • Mold destroys more wood than fires and termites combined.

Cleantec aims to offer helpful information to our clients and friends. Learn more about how we can help should your residence suffer from mold damage